Angel York (she/her) learned to ride a bike in ~1989, joined the Bike Collectives Think Tank Listserv in 2009 and this wiki in 2011. Wiki Administrator with access to backend.
Bike Collectives volunteered or worked for include
- Davis Bike Collective, 2008-2012 (including Bici Bici 2011)
- Bike Farm of Portland, 2013-2015
- Bike!Bike! Everywhere! 2021
Community Bike Shops visited include
- Salt Lake Bike Collective (including getting dragged to one of their formative meetings at the Coffee Garden) 2002, I think. Oh hey, their wiki page corroborates my date. Plus a few visits in its current main location.
- One of the ones in New Orleans, probably. If any of them existed in 2005. I was so impressed by the place, so it must have been. Confirmed! Described it to someone and they confirmed that it was the one that is apparently no longer there.
- Bike Church in Santa Cruz both at its original location on Church Street and its current home: 2005-2007
- (The former) Davis Bike Church, 2008
- Assorted visits to the Sacramento Bike Kitchen circa 2010
- Bikerowave in Los Angeles for Bici Bici (during which visit I also got to experience a CicLAvia), 2012
- Bike Kitchen in San Francisco, 2014
- Our Community Bikes in Vancouver, BC, 2014
- New York Mechanical Gardens Bike Coop in NYC, 2017
- Community Bikes in Santa Rosa, CA, 2020 & 2021
Bike life outside of community bike shops
- Participated in the World's Largest Bicycle Parade 2008 Attempt
- Rode Whymcycles in a Picnic Day Parade, probably 2009?
- Served on the City of Davis Bicycle Advisory Commission, 2008-2011
- Occasional volunteer with Davis Bicycles!, 2009-2012
- Worked the front desk @ Pedal Bike Tours, 2014
- UBI Introduction to Bicycle Mechanics class. [Note: I would mainly recommend this well-organized class if you can't volunteer at community bike shops, where you will learn all the same things for free while helping others] 2015
- Volunteering at or for Sunday Parkways, 2014 -2016
- Completed NACTO Urban Street Design Guide Training and volunteered at the BTA Active Transportation Summit, 2015
- PSU Traffic and Transportation Course sponsored by PBOT, 2015
- Bike Loud PDX Treasurer, 2015
- Portland Summer Bike Count, 2014-2017. In 2014 I won "Board Certified" for most skateboarders counted at a single site. Their end-of-season awards are a super-entertaining read. Participated in their first 24-hour bike count.
- Organized Portsmouth Parkways, a Pedalpalooza ride in 2016 & 2017
- Go By Bike Bike Valet, 2016 - 2019
- Host on Warm Showers 2019
Involvement in non-bike volunteer-run orgs
- St Johns Food Share - It was like dumpster diving, but institutionalized. 2016-2019
- Portsmouth Neighborhoood Association - Transportation Chair, 2017
- North Portland Tool Library 2016-2020
- Parking Reform Network Communications Intern, 2020-2021
Bike tours longer than a few days, all on recumbents
- Florida to California with Aaron Wickstrom, 2005
- Toronto to Iowa with Charlie DeTar, 2006
- SLC to Reno to Sacramento to Santa Cruz with Meara McClenahan, 2006
- Portland to Davis with Darin Wick, 2011
- North Bay to Sacramento & back, then up to Portland, all with Darin Wick, 2018
- Salt Harvest: Portland to Whalen Island County Campground and back, with Darin Wick 2019
- Hazelnut Harvest: Portland to Salem and back, with Darin Wick 2019
- Bike move: Portland to Ferndale with Darin Wick. Was supposed to be to Santa Rosa, but we got cut off in all directions by the annual literal apocalypse (see definition 3). 2020
Rides in motor vehicles since June 2018
- 2018 - Ferry, to get across the SF Bay
- 2018 - Aerial tram, to get to work once or twice
- 2019 - Elevator when being escorted to a study (got paid $40 to learn I have a high pain tolerance)
- 2020 - Used the elevator daily to move a cart at work for about a month
- 2020 - Elevator in a skyscraper that didn't seem to have stairs
- 2020 - Bike move got cut off in all directions (except back the way we came) by California's annual apocalypse. Darin's father picked us up with his pickup truck.
- 2021 - Darin got an e-assist for the tandem. So any time I'm on the tandem, there's a chance I'm riding a motor vehicle. Great on the knees, rough on my morals, whines like an induction stovetop burner, amazing for intersections.
- Lightning Thunderbolt (2005~2008) - recumbent bike
- Lightning Phantom (~2009-2012) - recumbent bike
- Burley Taiko (2013-2019) - recumbent bike
- Volae Expedition Pro (2020) - recumbent bike
- Vision R82 (2018-2020 shared custody) - recumbent tandem bike
- Flevotrike (2016-present shared custody) - moving bottom bracket recumbent trike. NOTE: this bike can be rough on the ulnar nerve if you have ulnar nerve issues.
- Bikes at Work 96A Bicycle Trailer (2015-present shared custody) - utility trailer
- Semi homebuilt tandem recumbent with sail and now e-assist (2021 shared custody)
- Not listed: various Burley-type trailers.
My friends on the wiki (add yourself!)
Hey look, a job board! "The RAR Jobs Board is a job listing to increase hiring for BIPOC and FTWN-B folks in the cycling and outdoors industries." [note: the FTWN-B means femme, transgender, women and non-binary.] Angel York (talk) 10:36, 30 June 2021 (PDT)