Bike Collectives volunteered or worked for include
- Davis Bike Collective, 2008-2012 (including Bici Bici 2011)
- Bike Farm of Portland, 2013-2015
- Bike!Bike! Everywhere! 2021 - present
Community Bike Shops visited include
- Salt Lake Bike Collective (including tagging along with a friend to one of their formative meetings at the Coffee Garden) 2002, I think. Oh hey, their wiki page corroborates my date. Plus a few visits in its current main location (as of whenever I wrote this some time in the 2010s)
- One of the ones in New Orleans, probably. If any of them existed in 2005. I was so impressed by the place, so it must have been. Confirmed! Described it to someone and they confirmed that it was the one that is apparently no longer there.
- Bike Church in Santa Cruz both at its original location on Church Street and its current home: 2005-2007
- (The former) Davis Bike Church, 2008
- Assorted visits to the Sacramento Bike Kitchen circa 2010
- Bikerowave in Los Angeles for Bici Bici (during which visit I also got to experience a CicLAvia), 2012
- Bike Kitchen in San Francisco, 2014
- Our Community Bikes in Vancouver, BC, 2014
- New York Mechanical Gardens Bike Coop in NYC, 2017
- Community Bikes in Santa Rosa, CA, 2020 & 2021
- SLO Bike Kitchen in San Luis Obispo, CA 2022
Bike life outside of community bike shops
- Participated in the World's Largest Bicycle Parade 2008 Attempt
- Rode Whymcycles in a Picnic Day Parade, probably 2009?
- Served on the City of Davis Bicycle Advisory Commission, 2008-2011
- Occasional volunteer with Davis Bicycles!, 2009-2012
- Worked the front desk @ Pedal Bike Tours, 2014
- UBI Introduction to Bicycle Mechanics class. [Note: I would mainly recommend this well-organized class if you can't volunteer at community bike shops, where you will learn all the same things for free while helping others] 2015
- Volunteering at or for Sunday Parkways, 2014 -2016
- Completed NACTO Urban Street Design Guide Training and volunteered at the BTA Active Transportation Summit, 2015
- PSU Traffic and Transportation Course sponsored by PBOT, 2015
- Bike Loud PDX Treasurer, 2015
- Portland Summer Bike Count, 2014-2017. In 2014 I won "Board Certified" for most skateboarders counted at a single site. Their end-of-season awards are a super-entertaining read. Participated in their first 24-hour bike count.
- Organized Portsmouth Parkways, a Pedalpalooza ride in 2016 & 2017
- Go By Bike Bike Valet, 2016 - 2019
- Host on Warm Showers 2019
Involvement in non-bike volunteer-run orgs
- St Johns Food Share - It was like dumpster diving, but institutionalized. 2016-2019
- Portsmouth Neighborhoood Association - Transportation Chair, 2017
- North Portland Tool Library 2016-2020
- Parking Reform Network Communications Intern, 2020-2021
Bike tours longer than a few days, all on recumbents
The above map covers trips prior to 2022
- Florida to California with Aaron Wickstrom, 2005
- Toronto to Iowa with Charlie DeTar, 2006
- SLC to Reno to Sacramento to Santa Cruz with Meara McClenahan, 2006
- Portland to Davis with Darin Wick, 2011
- North Bay to Sacramento & back, then up to Portland, all with Darin Wick, 2018
- Salt Harvest: Portland to Whalen Island County Campground and back with Darin Wick, 2019
- Hazelnut Harvest: Portland to Salem and back with Darin Wick, 2019
- Bike move: Portland to Ferndale with Darin Wick. Was supposed to be to Santa Rosa, but we got cut off in all directions by the annual literal apocalypse (see definition 3), 2020
- Santa Rosa to SoCal (with a detour through the Central Valley with Meara McClenahan) and back with Darin Wick, and small dog, 2022
Rides in motor vehicles since June 2018
- 2018 - Ferry, to get across the SF Bay
- 2018 - Aerial tram, to get to work once or twice
- 2019 - Elevator when being escorted to a study (got paid $40 to learn I have a high pain tolerance)
- 2020 - Used the elevator daily to move a cart at work for about a month
- 2020 - Elevator in a skyscraper that didn't seem to have stairs
- 2020 - Bike move got cut off in all directions (except back the way we came) by California's annual apocalypse. Darin's father picked us up with his pickup truck.
- 2021-22 - Darin got an e-assist for the tandem. So any time I'm on the tandem, there's a chance I'm riding a motor vehicle. According to the State of California, it is a class 2 electric bicycle. Great on the knees, rough on my morals, whines like an induction stovetop burner, amazing for intersections.
- 2022 - Darin talked me into putting solar e-assist on my Flevotrike. I find myself biking a little harder when I use the e-assist, too, which is counter-intuitive until I think about it, and also pretty neat. Apparently I use the e-assist to... bike as fast as everyone else does without e-assist.
- Lightning Thunderbolt (2005~2008) - recumbent bike
- Lightning Phantom (~2009-2012) - recumbent bike
- Burley Taiko (2013-2019) - recumbent bike
- Volae Expedition Pro (2020) - recumbent bike
- Vision R82 (2018-2020 shared custody) - recumbent tandem bike
- Flevotrike (2016-2021 shared custody) - moving bottom bracket recumbent trike. NOTE: this bike can be rough on the ulnar nerve if you have ulnar nerve issues.
- Bikes at Work 96A Bicycle Trailer (2015-present shared custody) - utility trailer
- Semi homebuilt tandem recumbent with sail and now e-assist (2021 shared custody)
- Flevotrike (2022) - this is the same trike listed above. But Darin extended the frame, replaced the trunk, built dog basket to my copilot's exacting specifications, added e-assist AND dynohub, replaced the axle and bottom bracket shell, added overhead solar panel. It's only technically the same vehicle. And custody is no longer shared. It looked like a golf cart with solar and pedals, but it was too top-heavy. So now the solar panel has its own Burley flatbed.
- Not listed: various other Burley-type trailers.
My friends on the wiki (add yourself!)
Hey look, a job board! "The RAR Jobs Board is a job listing to increase hiring for BIPOC and FTWN-B folks in the cycling and outdoors industries." [note: the FTWN-B means femme, transgender, women and non-binary.] --Angel York (talk) 10:36, 30 June 2021 (PDT)